Instagram allows you to send direct messages to one or more users. It’s too bad that there is no way to back up those DMs via the app. If you delete any message (accidentally or not) but change your mind a few seconds too late, they’re gone. Luckily, there are ways for you to still access those deleted messages. In this article, we will talk about Can You Recover Deleted Instagram Messages.
If you’ve been wondering- Can You Recover Deleted Instagram Messages? Then this post is for you.
Read on to see easy steps to Can You Recover Deleted Instagram Messages.
Download your Instagram Account Data on the App
If you delete any direct messages from your Instagram account, you can still see them by accessing your account data.
- Launch the app, then log into your Instagram account.
- Tap on the profile icon at the bottom part of your screen to go to your profile page.
- Once you’re on your profile page, tap on the hamburger menu at the top right of the screen to access the pop-up menu. Select the “Settings” option.
- On the search box, search for download. Tap on “Download your information.” This will allow you to get a copy of all your Instagram data.
- On the form, enter the email address and password that are associated with your Instagram account. This step will enable you to receive a copy of your Instagram account data. Tap on the “Request Download” button. It is the blue button under the field.
- You have to enter your Instagram account password. Once you key in your password, tap on the “Next” button.
- You will see a window stating “Download Requested” to let you know that the request has been submitted successfully.
- You will need to wait for up to 48 hours to receive an email containing the link so you can download your account data. Click on that and download the data onto your smartphone.
- To see your deleted DMs, look for the downloaded zip file in your file folder.
- Open the Instagram data folder and click on the messages.json file. This should open in any text editor you have on your device.
Download your Instagram Account Data from the website
- Go to https://www.instagram.com/ using any browser. Log into your Instagram account.
- Go to your profile page by clicking on the profile icon. You can find this in the top right corner of your screen. Choose the “Profile” option from the top menu.
- Once on your profile page, click on the Settings icon. This is the gear-shaped icon found below the Saved button. This will load the Settings menu.
- Look for “Privacy and Security” from the selection on the left and click on that.
- Find the Data Download option and click on the blue “Request Download” link.
- Enter the email address you use for your Instagram account. Then, select the information format you wish to download on the same page. You can choose between HTML or JSON. Click on the circle tab on the left of your choice, then click on the blue “Next” button.
- Enter your Instagram account password when prompted. Click on the blue “Request Download” button after typing your password.
- Wait for Instagram’s email with the link that will allow you to download all your account data.
- Find the data file in your Downloads folder (or wherever you save your downloads). Unzip it, then look for the messages file. Click on that to open it. From there, you’ll be able to read all of the DMs that you’ve sent and received.
FAQs On Deleted Instagram Messages
If you unsent your direct messages, then they won’t appear in the account data stored by Instagram. Unsent messages get deleted from the platform itself, so there will be no records of them. Additionally, you may have waited too long to request a copy of the account data. Copies of your Instagram content are saved in their backup storage for only up to 90 days.
No. Only your posts, reels, and stories get saved in your “Recently Deleted” folder.
Your personal chat thread is also hidden when you block a user on Instagram. The only way for you to view the messages you sent each other is to unblock that particular user.
No. They only keep deleted data on their servers for 90 days before they fully wipe your data. However, there are some who successfully recovered their data past that period using some third-party recovery tools.
If you delete your Instagram account, all the data will be deleted, including all your chat threads. If you sent any direct messages, that would be deleted along with your posts, stories, and reels. The user that you sent the message to will also no longer be able to see your messages.
You can also learn How To Delete All Instagram Messages From Both Sides?