If you buy something, you own that thing. It makes sense when it comes to physical things like the hardware but does the same applies to software products? Does that apply to ebooks or services like Audible? If you are an Audible subscriber, you must have the same question ‘Do I Lose My Books If I Cancel Audible? ‘
Absolutely yes. Once you have paid for the Books, then you own it, even if you want not to be Audible subscribers anymore. You can access all your books on your Audible account even after canceling the Membership.
But how does that work? Do I Lose My Books if I Cancel Audible directly from the website? Will there be any difference? And how can you cancel the Audible Membership to keep your purchased books intact and not lose them? Do not worry. In this article, we will answer all your questions.
Do I Lose My Books If I Cancel Audible?
No, you will not lose your books if you cancel Audible. Once you purchase an audiobook from Audible, you own the Audiobook. So, even if you cancel the Audible subscription and do not want to use it anymore, you will still have access to the books you purchased in your Audible Library.
Although you will not be able to download the Audiobook to external devices, you can access the books using your Audible account. Audible Audiobooks are encrypted and cannot be used outside of the platform. So, if you want to listen to your Audible Audiobooks, you can simply log into your account and go to the Library to listen to the books.
Before you cancel the Audible subscription, you need to take care of certain things, such as the credits you have on your account. Although you will have access to the Audible Audiobooks whenever you want after cancellation, you will lose the credits. So, it is always better to use the credits beforehand and cancel the subscription.
How To Cancel Your Audible Membership Without Losing My Books?
If you do not want to pay for the Audible subscription and still want to listen to the books you purchased, we have compiled the steps you need to take to safely cancel your Audible Membership without losing your books.
Follow the steps below to cancel your Audible Membership without losing your books on Audible.
- Step 1: Open your browser on your PC or Mac and log into your Audible account if you haven’t already.
- Step 2: On the home screen of Audible, hover over to ‘Hi, [Your Name]!’ on the top bar and select the ‘Account Details’ option from there.
- Step 3: Audible may ask you to log in again for security purposes. If so, enter your login information and authenticate yourself.
- Step 4: You will now see the ‘Cancel Membership’ option on the screen. Click on the button.
- Step 5: Audible will now open an instructions panel that will guide you on how to cancel the Membership. Follow the instructions and complete the cancellation process.
Cancel Audible Membership On Your iPhone [iOS] Without Losing Your Books
Using an iOS device, you can use the steps below to safely cancel your Audible Membership without losing your books.
- Step 1: Open the Settings app on your iOS device.
- Step 2: Tap on your name at the top of the settings.
- Step 3: Scroll down and tap on the Subscriptions option. If you do not see the Subscriptions option, tap on the ‘iTunes & App Stores’ option, choose your Apple ID, view your Apple ID, Sign In if needed and scroll down to find the Subscription option.
- Step 4: Now tap on the Audible Subscription to manage the subscription.
- Step 5: You will now see the ‘Cancel Subscription ’ option. Click on the button and confirm the cancellation.
In case you cannot find the Audible Subscription on the device, it generally means that you purchased your subscription outside of the Apple store. To cancel the subscription in this scenario, you need to manually visit the Audible Website, log into your account and follow the steps mentioned in the previous section of this article.
Cancel Audible Membership On Your Mobile [Android] Without Losing Your Books
If you are using Audible on your Android device, you can follow the below steps to cancel the Membership without losing access to your books.
- Step 1: Open your Google Play App on your Android device.
- Step 2: On the home screen of the Google Play App, tap on your profile picture in the top-right corner.
- Step 3: From the menu list, select Payments and Subscriptions. It will display all the subscriptions you took on the Google account.
- Step 4: Scroll down, find the Audible Subscription, and tap on it.
- Step 5: Now tap on Cancel Subscription, which will cancel your Audible subscription.
Note: Although you may not lose your books while canceling your Audible Membership in this process, you will lose any credits if you have taken the subscriptions outside App Store or Play Store. So, we recommend using the credits before canceling the Audible Membership in case you have not used any platforms to purchase the Membership.
Once you complete the cancellation process using the above steps, you will successfully be able to save your purchased books and can access the books using the same login information.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) on Audible Books
Some frequently asked questions about ‘Do I Lose My Books If I Cancel Audible?’ are taken from the internet.
Once you download the Audible books, you will find those files in your Downloads folder. Or you can also find the file by typing the name of the books on the find bar of Audible. The downloaded files will be in .adh format instead of aa or aax.
No, you cannot save your Audible books to USB as the books will be encrypted and can only be accessed through the platform. All the encryption is done with AA/AAX format.
Once you purchase an audiobook from audible using debit or credit cards, it is your forever because you paid for it. Although you can remove certain books from selected devices, the books will remain in your Library forever.
No, you cannot transfer Audible books to another account. But you can access each other’s audiobooks in the same household and listen to them. You can also not download the audiobooks to share with other people.
Audiobooks on Audible do not disappear. You may be mistaken or have removed from that specific device. If you want that book again, simply visit the Audible Library and can again add that book to your device.
Cancellation of Audible Books Membership
Therefore the answer to your ‘Do I Lose My Books If I Cancel Audible?’ question is No. Once you buy Audible books, you will have access to that book even if you cancel the Membership. You can simply log into your Audible account and visit the Library to access that book. However, You cannot download the book to save it on your device but will have full access to it.
Hope we answered your questions and provided valuable information.
Check our other article, What Happens if you Disable your Discord Account?