With the advancement of technology and the rise of the digital world, there is a threat to your data . To prevent such inconvenience, it is better to have an antivirus installed to provide security and protection to your data and against viruses.
McAfee is a trustworthy anti-malware that has been used widely, but sometimes there are chances of interference in certain programs and interrupts the smooth process. For that, you do not have to uninstall the software. You can always disable it when needed.
How to disable McAfee on your Windows Computer or Laptop?
To disable it, follow the steps below:
- Step 1: Find and click on the McAfee icon on the taskbar. You can find it in the right corner of your taskbar.
- Step 2: Clicking on it will pop up a menu. From there, open McAfee Total Protection, or you can directly open it through the desktop shortcut.
- Step 3: Go to the PC Security Tab and search Real-time scanning. This will be seen on the left menu pane, but to disable it, select Firewall.
- Step 4: The real-time scanning dialog box will open as a new window on the dashboard. You will see Turn Off to disable (active scanning) on the new window.
- Step 5: Finally, a confirmation dialog box will appear on the screen. Select Turn OFF and continue.
To enable it, select the time from the dropdown menu.
How to disable McAfee on Mac?
To temporarily disable McAfee from Mac, you should
- Step 1: Click on the logo of McAfee placed on the top right corner, probably next to the battery and Wi-Fi icon. You can search for it in the magnifying glass if it is unavailable .
- Step 2: Select the total protection console from the dropdown menu and go to Mac Security Tab.
- Step 3: Select the option of Real-Time Scanning in the left menu. To disable, select Firewall. An overlaying window of real-time scanning settings appears.
- Step 4: Click the Lock in the lower left corner. You will be asked to enter your Mac password and select OK.
- Step 5: You will find a toggle ON/Off in the upper right corner. Turn it off (if it is blue, then it is on, and if grey, it is off).
- Step 6: Finally, click on the close icon to terminate the window. Your McAfee has been disabled on your Mac.
Here is a guide if you want this anti-malware to go permanently from your system.
How to uninstall McAfee on your Windows Computer or Laptop?
To uninstall this program on your Windows system. Follow these steps.
- Step 1: Go to Control Panel. You can search it in the start menu or sometimes on your desktop.
- Step 2: Select Programs and Features. In that menu, you will find the list of programs and software installed on your system.
- Step 3: See McAfee and right-click on the program. Select Uninstall option.
- Step 4: A checkbox next to McAfee Security and select remove all the files for this program.
- Step 5: Uninstall and restart your system to continue.
How to uninstall McAfee on Mac?
When uninstalling McAfee on your MacBook, you first need to close your system’s browsers, Chrome or Safari, to ensure a permanent removal. The steps are as follows:
- Step 1: Find and open the Application folder from the Dock.
- Step 2: Next, double tap on McAfee Internet Security Uninstaller
- Step 3: Select the Continue option. The system will ask for your administrator’s security password and hit OK for confirmation.
- Step 4: Finally, Click on Finish and restart your system.
Does McAfee slow the computer?
McAfee, as an anti-malware, usually works in the background of your system, which means it works even when your system is asleep.
With the ultimate protection and other intriguing features, this software undoubtedly consumes a chunk of your processor time and often accesses the hard disk. This means it is more likely to slow down your system with overwhelming working conditions.
FAQs on Removing McAfee
McAfee is not removed from your system because you probably are not doing it right. This is the right method through which it can be removed.
You can perform the process by going to Uninstall shortcut through
Start menu> All Programs > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs > McAfee and uninstall the program.
For further information, continue reading – Problem uninstalling McAfee Product.
McAfee is an antivirus that runs in the background to prevent and guard your system against any virus. However, if you do not want it to run in the background, you have to go to McAfee settings and do it manually.
Yes, you can disable McAfee from your system without uninstalling it. All you have to do is
Step 1: Right-click on the driver NaiAvTdi1 and a pop-up menu will open.
Step 2: Click on Disable and confirm your settings by selecting Yes.
Step 3: Restart your system that will turn off McAfee without uninstalling the program.
Windows Defender is a built-in antivirus of Windows to secure your system against malware and viruses. Whereas McAfee is a third-party software antivirus serves the same purpose but with additional features like protection against viruses, parental controls, online backup, etc.
If a Windows defender is fulfilling your needs,, you do not need to install McAfee.
Deactivating or disabling your McAfee software is two separate things. When it comes to deactivating, that means you are using a paid version. However, you can always change your auto-renewal setting or can cancel your subscription at any time.
For more details, visit McAfee Subscription.
Uninstall/Disable McAfee Antivirus
It is necessary to have an antivirus installed in your system, but sometimes the firewall prevents some programs and software from running smoothly. To disable McAfee antivirus, we have provided the methods through which you can temporarily turn it off for a while.
Read our other article on How to Get Rid of Green Dot on iPhone Photos?