There may come a time when you would want to delete your Xbox account. It could be that you would rather focus on work or study. Or it could be that you simply don’t want to play anymore. Here, we’ll show you how you can delete your Xbox in different ways.
You may also learn how to delete Minecraft’s Microsoft account quickly.
Deleting the Xbox Account Alone
Unfortunately, there is no way to simply delete the Xbox on its own. An Xbox account is linked to a corresponding Microsoft account. If you want to permanently delete your Xbox account, you would have to delete that particular Microsoft account as well.
Remember that this would mean losing all data and access to products and services associated with that account. That is why it’s important to thoroughly consider if you would really like to delete your Xbox permanently.
Deleting the Microsoft Account to delete the Xbox account.
If you have decided that you want to permanently delete your account as well as your Microsoft account, just follow these easy steps:
- Go to the Microsoft account closure page and log in to your account. Choose the account that is connected to the Xbox you want to erase.
- Provide your password, and the security code sent to your phone/email if the system initiates it.
- Read the account closure information first to understand how the next steps will affect your services and data.
- Go to the account recovery window and select the period for your account to be closed. You will get to choose between 30 days and 60 days. This means before your selected timeline passes, you can still change your mind and reopen your account.
- Click Next once you’ve finished your selection.
- Additional information about your account closure will appear in the next window. Read each line and check the boxes to confirm that you have read and understood the details.
- Select a reason for closing the account on the drop down list on the same page.
- Once finished, click Mark account for closure.
Once you complete all the steps, you will have to wait 30 or 60 days for Microsoft to completely delete the account as well as the corresponding products and services linked to it. This includes your Xbox account.
Option to Remove Xbox Profile
Sometimes it’s not necessary to permanently delete an Xbox account. Your reasons may be something as simple as grounding a child or temporarily focusing on your day-to-day duties. In that case, it may be too much to delete a Microsoft account that could hold important data as well as services still necessary to you.
One option you can choose is to remove an Xbox profile from the console. To do so:
- Press the XXXX button. This will launch the guide.
- Go to Profile & System.
- Select Settings.
- Click Account.
- Click Remove Accounts.
- Select the profile you wish to remove.
- Click Remove.
You can also change your password to disable access to your Microsoft account. This method is effective if you want to pause someone else’s activities on the Xbox.
Once the 60 days lapse, your Microsoft account and data will be gone forever. You will also lose access to products and services associated with that account.
There is still no update on the option to independently delete an Xbox account while retaining the Microsoft account it is linked to.
Before the 60 days lapse, you have the option to reopen your account and carry on as usual.
This can happen after 24 months of inactivity with your Microsoft account. Your Microsoft subscription will be terminated, along with accompanying services like your Xbox account.
Unlike a deleted account, deleted Xbox profiles can still be restored to the console by adding it back using the related login details. Purchased games and saved data will be restored to the system.