Google Smart Lock is a login feature that stores all your passwords every time you log in. It will automatically auto-fill your login details. It is a helpful feature from Google that automatically unlocks your Laptop when you have your phone with you. There are other features which make this very convenient. But sometimes, there might be other security concerns that might make you want to disable Smart Lock.
In this article, we will talk about how you can turn off Google Smart Lock.
What is Google Smart Lock?
Google Smart Lock is a convenient password management feature that lets you save and manage all your passwords in your Google Account. After every new login credential, you can auto-save your password on your Google Account. It helps you manage your passwords, store them, and suggest strong passwords. The best part is with your Google Account. You can log in from all your devices without remembering your password. Google will take care of all your login with the Smart lock.
But obviously, there are some gaps within the Smart Lock feature from Google. One major flaw of the Smart Lock was that anyone with the lock of your PC or your phone could access all your passwords without any additional security. This means if you gave the password of your phone or PC to anyone, they also had access to all the passwords you have saved in your Google Account. There are also very few apps on Android that supports Google Smart Lock.
Methods to Disable Google Smart Lock
Whatever your reason is to disable Google Smart Lock, here are methods to turn off Smart Lock on Android and your computer.
Disable Google Smart Lock on your Phone
If you are looking to turn off Google Smart Lock on your Android phone, here is how you can easily turn it off through your Chrome Browser app on your phone.
- Open the Google Chrome Browser on your Android.
- Tap on the three horizontal dots and tap on Settings.
- Under Basics, Click on Passwords.
- Turn off the Save Passwords and Auto Sign-In options.
- Delete individual passwords to turn off Smart Lock on different websites.
Disable Google Smart Lock on the PC
You can also turn off Google Smart Lock on your PC through your Chrome application. Also, the steps are pretty similar to the Android method, with some slight differences. So, to avoid any confusion, here is how you can turn off Google Smart Lock on your PC.
- Open your Google Chrome Browser on your PC.
- Tap on the three horizontal dots and click on Settings.
- Click on Autofill from the left menu.
- Select Password and turn off the Offer to save the password.
- You can also delete the individual password of the website you want to disable it.
Delete all your Passwords at Once
Some of us might also want to remove all our important passwords from Google and don’t want to leave Google anything. In that case, you can delete all your passwords with just a single click if you are looking to delete only a few passwords. But if you want to erase it, you can delete all your Saved Passwords from Google.
- Open Google Chrome and tap on the three horizontal dots.
- Click On Settings and Tap on Privacy and Security.
- Click on Clear Browsing Data and Tap on Advanced.
- Select All time from the drop-down menu.
- Check on Passwords and other sign-in data and Click on Clear Data.
- All the passwords you have saved on Google have now been deleted.
FAQs On Google Smart Lock
Google Smart Lock lets you manage all your passwords and unlock your Android phone in preapproved, known-to-be-safe circumstances. It’s a very handy feature that enables you to keep your passwords secure and also makes it convenient for you. After setting it up, it is very simple. But obviously, it can also result in security threats as people who know your lock can easily access all your passwords.
Compared to Chrome Password Manager, 1Password is more secure. Google Chrome easily lets other users access all your password if they have the lock to your phone. 1Password uses better security to secure all your important passwords and manage them for you. In 1Password, nobody can automatically steal your other passwords if they gain access to your Google or Chrome accounts.
To find your passwords on Google Chrome, you can just head to the settings and access them.
1. Open your Google Chrome Browser.
2. Tap on the three horizontal dots and Open Settings.
3. Click on Autofill from the left side menu.
4. Select Password and click on the password you want to view.
5. Chrome will ask you for the lock of your device. Enter the lock, and you can easily view all your passwords in Google.
No, you cannot recover deleted passwords from Google. Once they are deleted, they are completely deleted from your account. But you can access the deleted password from your computer if you can switch the folders to the previous version and access the password from the file.
If Google is not synced in any other device, you can also access all the old passwords from the device until you turn the sync on.
You can quickly recover your Gmail account even if you don’t have the email and phone number. Here is how you can do it:
1. Go to Google Account Recovery.
2. Type in your Gmail ID and click on Next
3. You will get three options: Enter your password, Get a verification email on your listed recovery email, and Try another way to sign in.
4. Click on “Try another way to sign in.”
5. If you have the same account logged in on any other device, you will get a notification on the device. After that, you can click “Yes” to confirm your identification and sign in.
Read another article on How Do I Remove An Account From Google Smart Lock?