Have you had enough of social media and now want to take a break? Understandably, it is frustrating when someone unwanted keeps sliding into DMs. Furthermore, it is more of an overwhelming situation for introverted peeps who just want to scroll and do random posting on Facebook. Now you must be thinking, “how to deactivate messenger without deactivating Facebook?”
It is impossible to deactivate messenger without deactivating a Facebook account. However, you may deactivate your Facebook account and keep your messenger active.
Read on to know more related to the Facebook account and messenger deactivation.
Can You Deactivate Messenger Without Deactivating Facebook?
Facebook doesn’t allow its users to deactivate messenger without deactivating their Facebook account. The “Deactivate Messenger” option only appears when you deactivate your Facebook account.
On the other hand, users can easily deactivate their Facebook accounts and keep using Facebook messenger.
If you are looking for a way to ignore someone’s messages on Facebook, you can still do so. The best way to avoid communication is by uninstalling your Facebook messenger. Your friends will still be able to message you after you delete Facebook messenger. However, the message will not appear in the notification bar, so you won’t be frustrated.
You won’t receive a notification when someone messages you on Facebook while you have your messenger deactivated. There will only be an increase in the number on your messenger icon.
To uninstall your messenger, long press the messenger icon on your phone and select uninstall.
Steps to Deactivate Facebook Messenger
If you want to deactivate your Facebook messenger, you will first need to deactivate your Facebook account. Follow these steps to deactivate Facebook messenger:
- Deactivating Facebook Account.
- Open your Facebook app and press the hamburger option next to the search option.
Now scroll down and select “Settings and privacy” > “Settings”
- Under Account, press “Personal and account information”
- Here you will see your name, contact info, and account ownership settings. Choose “Account ownership and control”
- Select “Deactivation and deletion”
- The app will ask if you want to delete or deactivate your account. Press “Continue to account deactivation”
- Now enter your password to authorize your deactivation and select “Continue”
8. Facebook will ask you to choose from multiple reasons as to why you are selecting account deactivation, you can select whatever suits you and select continue.
9. Facebook will ask you to choose alternative options rather than deactivating your account. You can also choose whether you want your account to reactivate automatically. Choose whatever and select “Continue”
- Finally, press “Deactivate my account”. Once you press it, you will log out of your account. If you want to reactivate your account, just enter your email address or phone number.and password.
Deactivating Facebook Messenger
- Head to the messenger app and select your profile picture icon at the top left corner of your screen.
- Scroll down and press “Legal & Policies”
- Press “Deactivate Messenger”. (If you do not see “Deactivate Messenger” in legal and policies, uninstall and reinstall your messenger app.)
- Select “Deactivate”
FAQs on Deactivating Messenger
No, you can’t deactivate your messenger without deactivating your Facebook account. However, you can just uninstall your Facebook messenger to get rid of unwanted messages.
If you want to deactivate your messenger, you will first need to deactivate your Facebook account. If you don’t want to do so, just turn off your active status or remove your messenger.
Go to the Facebook app and select the hamburger icon. Now head to settings and then select account ownership and control under personal and account information. Now choose “Deactivation and deletion” and enter the required details.
As you deactivate your Facebook messenger, your Facebook friends will not be able to send you messages even in existing chats or view your profile on Facebook. When you reactivate your Facebook account, your messenger will also be reactivated automatically.
Suppose you see “This person is unavailable on messenger” as you open a conversation and can’t send a message. In that case, it is possible that the person has deactivated their account or Facebook deleted their account.
You may also like an interesting post on How Do I Disable Ads on Facebook?