Featured photos allowed the users to display their favorite stories or the photos where they feel most described. Later, Facebook updated the feature for it to be displayed in a story-like manner. The pictures shared in featured photos are usually public, but I can teach you a few tricks on How To Make Featured Photos on Facebook Private?
Guide on How To Make Featured Photos on Facebook Private?
Featured photos were meant to be public, so even people who aren’t on your friend list can see them and consider friending you. So sadly, you can’t change the privacy of featured photos in your profile, not through any direct action. But that doesn’t mean that you cannot get it done. I’ll be explaining a few roundabout ways how you can limit who can see your featured section.
Let’s start with having your featured section private by updating the privacy security of your account through android,
- Step 1: Open the Facebook app and sign in to your account if you aren’t in already.
- Step 2: Tap on the hamburger menu on the top right of the page to proceed.
- Step 3: The menu page will open, then press on the setting icon toward the top right. Just beside the search icon.
- Step 4: Scroll till you see the option “Audience and visibility,” then choose “Posts.”
- Step 5: Tap on “Who can see your future posts?” from the top of the page.
- Step 6: Choose your preferred setting; we recommend “Friends” or “Only me” to save some effort, or you can go for the customized options. There you’ll have to choose who you don’t want to see your stuff or the only group of people you want it to be visible to. Then click “save” to keep the configuration.
- Step 7: Go back to the previous page and tap on “Limit who can see past posts.”
- Step 8: You’ll be presented with a choice to limit the audience for your past public posts. By choosing it, you’ll make all your previous posts to “Friends Only,” including your featured photos/highlights.
- Step 9: Go to Profile Settings and select “View as,” check if your highlights are still visible, you’ll see they aren’t.
And voila! Your featured section is no longer visible to the public, and you can organize it as you wish without worrying about stalkers and creepy strangers.
Step by Step Guide for Desktop
If you’re on your pc, the process will be slightly different than the one we discussed.
- Step 1: Click on your profile picture from the top right of your home page.
- Step 2: Select “Settings & privacy” from the dropdown menu.
- Step 3: Choose “Settings” from the newly exposed menu.
- Step 4: A new page will open on the left, you can see the options tab. Unlike on the phone, you’ll have to click on “Privacy” to reach your desired settings.
- Step 5: In the “Your Activity” section, you can see both options, “Who can see your future posts?” and “Limit past posts.” Check steps 6-9 of the android version earlier to decide what to do next.
Locking Account Method
There’s another foolproof way if you do not want to go through all the trouble; that’s by locking your account. It’s smart if you don’t need to customize the audience list.
- Step 1: First, open your Facebook profile page, and tap on the three dots (…) beside “Edit Profile.”
- Step 2: Profile settings will open, then select “Lock Profile.”
- Step 3: Finalize the process by pressing “Lock your profile” at the bottom of the page.
This process is almost similar to PC. Go to Profile> (…)> Lock Profile, then confirm. This way, no one outside your friend list will have access to any of your personal information.
Deleting any collection of highlights
Although you may want to make your featured highlights “only me”; however, due to the nature of the featured section, you cannot do that. But you can delete any collection of highlights if you don’t want those to be seen. To do that, perform the following steps,
- Step 1: Go to your profile, and choose “Edit public details” below the highlights section.
- Step 2: Scroll down to Featured and tap “Edit.”
- Step 3: Tap on the highlight collection you don’t want to be seen, and choose “Delete Featured Collection” from the bottom.
FAQ on FB Featured Photos
No. Even if you keep the photos visible to your followers, they’ll only be able to view the pictures. Nobody but you can see the “Save Photo” option and save the photos on the device your Facebook is logged in.
You sure can. But not anymore after the first 24 hours. Between posting and the 24 hours limit, you can see the whole list of who saw your highlights.
It won’t. Adding a featured photo or story to your collection creates a separate folder that is only accessible through your timeline. Also, the photos don’t come with their previous like counts or views. The moment when you add them in highlights, they start on like a new photo.
Unfortunately, no. Facebook does keep a record, but they don’t allow the users to access that information. You can check the viewers’ section of your newly posted highlight to get an idea of who stopped on your profile.
You can use the feature to store your favorite photos and stories, which will be one of the first things people see when they check out your profile. Highlights help you to figure someone out better whom you only know online.
Keep Your FB Featured Photos Private
Everyone has a different sense of privacy and boundaries, so it’s only natural not wanting to disclose something so personal like Facebook featured photos to thousands of strangers online. Hopefully, this guide on How To Make Featured Photos on Facebook Private was simple enough to follow to complete the task at hand. Surf safe!
Also, you may like to read our other article, How Do I Bulk Delete Photos On Facebook?