Hotspot and tethering is a convenient way to share the data connection with other devices, but a common issue we all face while using a hotspot is the slow internet speed after connection. This could be quite frustrating when using slow mobile hotspots.
But not to worry, in a couple of fixes, your iPhone’s hotspot connection would be fast and good to go. I’ll show you these quick fixes and how to go about them in a couple of troubleshooting steps.
How to Fix your iPhone’s Hotspot Faster?
There are a couple of solutions to fixing your iPhone’s hotspot. But there are some basic procedures you need to be aware of before using these fixes.
- Shorten the distance between the wifi router and your iPhone.
- If other devices are connected to your iPhone, shorten the distance between them to strengthen the hotspot speed because the farther the distance, the weaker the connection.
- Reboot the connected device to improve the connection.
- Ensure that your iPhone is in its latest iOS version to improve speed and resolve bugs that may affect your hotspot connectivity.
If you’ve taken note of these key points and there are no improvements with the hotspot’s strength, you may try the suggested fixes below.
Solution 1: Close Running or Background Apps to Make Your Hotspot Faster on iPhone
In case your hotspot performance is still weak, this may be caused by the use of an Internet connection by other applications running in the background.
These apps may not currently be in use, but since they are still open, they are slowing down your hotspot speed. To close these apps, follow the steps below.
1. Swipe up on your home screen to open the recent apps on your iPhone.
2. Here, you can close the apps running in the background by swiping up on their tabs.
3. After you’ve closed all background apps, go back to your home screen by tapping on the blurred bottom of the screen.
Once you’ve closed these apps, there ought to be an improvement in your hotspot speed and performance. If this doesn’t work, continue reading our guide to learn more tips!
Solution 2: Test Maximize Compatibility to Boost Hotspot Signal on iPhone
IOS 13 software and later versions have a tethering speed of over 5 GHz. But if you are connected to an iPhone whose software is lesser than iOS 13, there may be a delay in the hotspot’s strength due to incompatibility.
To improve compatibility, you have to switch your iPhone’s tethering speed to 2.5 GHz to match the speed of the lesser iPhone. The drawback to this is the slow internet connection, but there would be strength between the tethered devices.
To turn on the Maximize Compatibility boost on your iPhone, follow these quick steps.
1. Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on Personal Hotspot.
3. Tap on the Maximize Compatibility toggle switch to enable it. To turn it off, tap on the toggle switch again.
This would undoubtedly make your hotspot faster than usual. If this fix doesn’t work for you, then I’m sure the next one will.
Solution 3: Turning Off Background App Refresh
The Background App Refresh feature is an inbuilt functionality that automatically refreshes your iPhone to check for notifications and updates for your applications.
Since it’s always up and running, it could also make your hotspot slow. To disable this feature, follow these quick steps below.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on General.
3. Scroll through and tap on Background App Refresh.
4. Tap on the Background App Refresh section at the top of the screen.
5. Tap on Off to disable the Background App Refresh setting.
After you’ve disabled the Background App Refresh setting, reboot your iPhone. Try checking your hotspot speed and strength, and it must have been improved.
Solution 4: Disable Automatic Updates to Boost Hotspot Speed
Automatic app updates may also be a reason why your hotspot performance is bad. An app may be updated in the background without your knowledge, so you must turn off the automatic updates feature to improve your hotspot connection on your iPhone. Follow the steps below to do this.
1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
2. Tap on General.
3. Select Software Update.
4. Tap on Automatic Updates.
5. Turn off the “Download iOS Updates” and “Install iOS Updates” toggle switches.
Once these features are disabled, your iPhone will stop updating apps automatically without your knowledge. This can also improve the hotspot speed of your iPhone.
Solution 4: Turn Off Low Data Mode
The Low Data Mode feature is a setting that helps to reduce data usage on your iPhone by stopping automatic updates and background apps.
As this feature reduces the amount of data allocated to the apps and widgets on your iPhone, it could also limit the amount of data shared via the hotspot and tethering feature causing slow internet speed and strength.
To prevent this from happening, you have to disable the low data mode.
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Tap on Cellular.
3. Select Cellular Data Options.
4. Tap on the toggle switch on Low Data Mode to turn the setting off.
This helps to boost the hotspot signal on your iPhone.
If you’ve tried all these fixes above and none worked, your location may have a low coverage network, so you have to move away from where you are.
FAQs on Hotspot
1. Open Settings.
2. Tap on Connection and Sharing. Then, select Portable Hotspot.
3. Set the speed between 2.5 GHz to 5.0 GHz under the AP brand switch section.
The simplest way of boosting your iPhone’s hotspot speed is by reducing the distance between the iPhone and the connected device.
You can try any of the methods provided above or set the AP brand switch between 2.5 GHz to 5.0 GHz.
1. Check and adjust your internet connection speed.
2. Try changing your browser.
3. Clear all running background applications.
4. If you’re using WiFi, place the router in an open spot with the better network coverage.
5. Try using a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
Internet speed and connection are faster during tethering and the opposite when the hotspot is used.
Resolve Hotspot Issues
If you have any issues with your hotspot’s strength and connection, you can use any of the steps explained above. If you have any questions or suggestions, drop a comment in the comment section. I hope you found this guide helpful.
Also, check another article on How To Convert Video To Mp3 On iPhone?