The best part about Facebook is how it lets you easily interact with your friends. You easily bond, and the conversations, over time, create memories. What happens when you accidentally delete your memorable messages? Luckily there is a way to recover deleted messages on Facebook messenger. If you are looking for an easy way of recovering your Facebook messages, stick around, and let’s dive in!
How To Recover Deleted Messages on Facebook Messenger?
Accidentally deleting your Facebook Messenger messages is stressful. The situation is unfortunate, and when you have no solution for it, it can get disappointing. The good news is that Facebook has a 90-day window within which you can recover deleted messages. Besides, you probably archived the conversation instead of deleting it. That said, there are various ways of recovering deleted Facebook messages. One of the methods presented below will work for your case.
Method 1. Check Your Archived Messages on Android
Often, people end up archiving conversations and later think they deleted the messages. If that’s the case, you can start by checking your archived messages and hopefully find the conversation you are trying to recover.
- Open the Messenger app on your Android phone
- Navigate to your Profile by clicking its icon at the top left corner.
- A menu will appear. Locate and click on the Archived Chats option.
- Hold on to the chat until you see the Unarchive option.
- To restore the messages, click the Unarchive option.
Method 2. Download Facebook Data To Recover Deleted Messages via Browser
You can also access and restore archived messages by accessing your Facebook account using a browser.
- Open your browser and go to facebook.com and log into your account.
- Locate and click the down arrow at the top. From the options, click the Settings & Privacy
- On the next screen, click Settings
- On the next page, click Your Facebook Information on the sidebar.
- Click View under the Download Profile Information
- Ensure Messages is the only selected option, and ensure you choose a date range
- Scroll down and click the request a download button.
- Check for notification and click the Download option. You must enter your password to verify the process.
- Unzip the downloaded file and click locate the index file. Once you click on it, it will open all your messages in a browser.
Hopefully, you managed to recover your deleted messages using this method. If not, keep reading to find other ways.
Method 3. Ask for Resend
When trying to recover a specific conversation you had with a particular person, you can optionally text them and request they resend you the messages you shared with them. The method is effortless, and you shouldn’t find it hard requesting your friend to re-text you or send a screenshot of the conversation.
Method 4. Recover Deleted Messages Using Android File Manager
Android users can access the local copy of the Messenger messages stored in the cache of their phone to recover deleted messages.
- Open your phone’s File Manager app/File Explorer and navigate to your primary storage location.
- Locate and click the Android folder, which contains all data of installed applications.
- Inside it, click the Data folder > com.facebook.katana > file > fb_temp
Hopefully, in this backup data, you will find your deleted messages.
Method 5. Unarchive Messages via Browser
We’ve seen how to check the archived messages from an Android phone. Let’s see how you can recover archived messages using a browser.
- Log into your Facebook account from a browser
- Click the Messenger icon at the top.
- Locate and click the See All in Messenger option on the right side.
- Next to Chat at the top, click the three dots.
- A menu will pop up. Click Archived Chats
- Once you locate the lost message, reply to that person to unarchive it, or click the three dots and click the Unarchive chat option.
That’s it! You successfully recovered your deleted Messenger messages.
Yes, you can. Various methods can be used to recover deleted messages. You can start by checking your archived chats. Next, try downloading your Facebook information to see if you can access the deleted message. Also, use the Android file manager to check messages from the backup data. All the methods are covered in this article.
Unfortunately, there is no way you can know when someone deletes the Facebook message that you sent them. However, you can ask them to screenshot your conversation and trace if all the messages are in tack. Other than that, you can access their phone and check your conversation to check if any message has been deleted.
To delete a message on Messenger, open the chat containing the message. Next, click the message you wish to delete and click the more option. From there, click the remove > remove for you options. You can also delete the whole conversation by choosing the delete chat option.
In most cases, people archive their chats instead of deleting them. Therefore, if you check your archived chats and see that the message you are trying to search for is not archived, it means you deleted it. However, don’t panic. Follow the methods presented in this guide to recover your deleted messages.
Yes, it does. Facebook allows users to recover their deleted messages within 90 days. After that, recovering the messages becomes nearly impossible.
It’s unfortunate to delete a Facebook message. However, when that happens, this guide has your back and covers the various methods to recover your deleted messages easily. Try any of the methods, and one will work in your case. All the best!